Re: 2 vs 4 post lifts

To: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Subject: Re: 2 vs 4 post lifts
From: Trevor Boicey <trevor@boicey.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 14:37:18 -0500
Doug Braun wrote:
> Also, how much hassle was delivery?  This is my
> main concern (apart from the $$$) about getting a
> lift.
> My house has a non-semi-friendly driveway and
> I have no forklift :-)

   My four post was delivered on a truck, with the warning that I needed
to have facilities to unload it and that the driver will not help.

   All I did was have myself and had two friends handy, and the driver
actually did help, and it went fine, but it depends on the model. All we
did was frantically get it all out of the truck onto my driveway, and
then took our time getting it inside after the truck had left.

   With mine, the heaviest pieces is the left-side platform, which has
the hydraulic cylinder installed underneath permanently so it's quite a
bit heavier than the other side. Probably 500 pounds or so. However, we
were still able to manage.

   You might just have to ask the builder how heavy the heaviest piece
is, and have a few friends on standby on delivery day. As long as you
can tear the pallets apart in the truck and have all the pieces sitting
on your driveway in about 10 minutes, the driver probably won't complain
and can move on to his next job.

   Also worth mentioning, I have moved my four post when moving house,
and that went EXTREMELY easily. I found a tow truck driver (by luck)
with a flatbed who had done this many times before, and it went smooth.
I bolted some heavy duty casters to the corners of the platform, and he
dragged it up the flatbed with the winch, folded the posts on top, and
away we went.

   Was all done within the hour for the "hourly charge" of $80.