Re: [Shop-talk] Wholesale Auto Parts

To: "'Shop-Talk List'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Wholesale Auto Parts
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 12:00:24 -0400
Randall wrote:
>> You can't blame a shop for looking to make
>> a buck.
>
> I'm sorry, John, I simply disagree.  What you are talking about is fraud,
> pure and simple.  It is wrong.  It is illegal.

I've gotta agree with Randall on this.  I'm 41;  I've NEVER found a pro'
mechanic that wasn't doing something a little shady.  At *best* they just
overcharged me.  Worst case, I've had malicious damage done to my car.

Years ago I was a poor 22 year old at my first "real" job.  Was driving a POS
Toyota Celica.  It needed a water pump belt one summer, so I bought one myself.
 But I lived at an apartment complex that didn't allow wrenching in the parking
lot and I never got around to installing it, so a couple months later I went to
the small shop around the corner from work.

I suggested to the guy I had a belt they could install if they didn't mind.  He
got REAL pissy with me, which I immediately picked up on.  I quickly retracted,
saying "I'm not trying to be a cheapskate, I bought it months ago, blah blah"
"...don't want to cause any problems, PLEASE install yours and forget I asked."

He sold & installed a belt all right... and apparently used a 15 foot pry bar
to tighten it.  Mo*******er!  The water pump and alternator died or bearing
failure within three weeks.

Could I prove the failure on the 140,000 mile car was his fault?  No.

Any doubt in my mind the SOB did it?  Not a bit!

All because I *suggested* denying him the mark up on a belt he wanted $6.50
for.  I'd still like to beat the shit out of him for that.  I hope he's died a
slow painful death some time in the last 19 years.

  -Wayne