Re: [Shop-talk] Wholesale Auto Parts

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Wholesale Auto Parts
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 09:48:05 -0400
At 08:25 PM 10/7/2007 EDT, BSHolden@aol.com wrote:

>Yup. Back in the mid '80's I encountered this situation. Geez, take a
>company vehicle with 40K on it in for a LOF and they call back telling me
I  needed
>new tie rod ends, u-joints and a muffler.
>Beware that in central Iowa they now carry the Freedom Tire moniker.
>
>Of course, the local Firestone and Tires+ stores try to pull the same  BS.

While I agree and have happen to me, some of the things that are being said
here, also keep in mind that part of what they are doing is trying to help
protect the customer.

I take my cars to a local Firestone store for state inspection.  When I pick
it up, it's no unusual for them to give me a 2 page print out of stuff that
is recommended/should? be done.  This is based on the milage of the car and
what their computer/books saw about the scheduled maintenance.

I keep a small note book (the type that fits in your shirt pocket) in the
glove box of each car.  Starting at the front of the book, I record every
time I get gas, the date, milage, # gal., cost, and mpg.  Starting at the
back of the book, I keep track of any time I have/do work done on the car.
These records contain, the date, milage, and what was done, ie. 10/03/07
oil & filter, or 9/24/07 ft brake pads.  So at a glance I know what has
been done to the car and when.  So I can look at this list of stuff from
the shop and see that everything has been done.

Also, if I take a car someplace and they suggest that I replace my timing
belt, I can say no thanks it was done 15,000 ago. etc.  You can't blame
a shop for looking to make a buck.  If they don't know what has been done
to the car.

It is the car owner that is responsible for knowing what has been done to
his car.

For those that are tired of getting ripped off by the National chains, all
I can say is: find a good independant shop in your area.  If you don't know
of one, ask every one you know where they take their cars.  You can also
go to Click & Clack's web site: http://www.cartalk.com/.  Under "Actual car
Info" there is a section, "Mechanics Files"
(http://www.cartalk.com/content/mechx/) where you can look for mechanics
in your area that others have recommended.  This may not be perfect, but it's
a good start.

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229