Re: [Shop-talk] trailer advice needed

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] trailer advice needed
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 16:45:35 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Steven Trovato wrote:
> There is another thing that you should think about.  To me, a trailer
> is a general "tool" that is very handy to have!  It is not something
> I bought to just tow one kind of vehicle for a certain number of
> miles.  You certainly don't want to get something that's too big for
> your tow vehicle.  But a trailer will come in handy for lots of other
> transport jobs that you probably haven't thought of yet.  For this
> reason, the idea of a full floor, rather than one "track" for each
> side makes for a more versatile trailer.

Sort of.

A rail trailer makes a really handy lift when you're at the races and its
lighter to tow.

I agree that if you're hauling tractors around, using it for carrying
building debris, or whatever that having the closed deck is really nice.
But if you're getting it to tow your racecar to the track, consider an
open rail trailer.

Somewhat related... I don't think you really save all that much buying a
used trailer vs. a new one.  There are deals out there of course, but from
what I've seen of trailer ads, the ones that are at enough of a discount
over new to make it worthwhile to me are usually beat to death.  They seem
to hold their value pretty well.

Mark