Re: [Shop-talk] trailer advice needed

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] trailer advice needed
From: "Mullen, Tim" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 11:01:59 -0500
Randall wrote:

> Just curious, Tim, what happened ?  I've had blowouts several
> times now on single-axle trailers with very little drama.

Well the weight limit on the trailer and the tow vehicle was at
the limit, and when the tire blew, the trailer started "wagging".
It happened on a sweeping curve in the middle of a city - no
median, or even side to pull out on, just a cement wall.  The
fact that cars were riding next to the trailer and naturally
tailgating it just added to the problem.

Once I got it slowed down, it just pulled it, but I had to go
a bit to find a place to pull off, and it didn't like it much.

Probably more panic on my side more than anything else, but I
want a dual axle trailer (with electric brakes that I can
manually apply to stop the swaying) the next time I tow.
Come to think of it, the last time I towed using that setup,
it was with a truck with more towing capacity and a higher
tongue weight capacity (so the car was moved farther up on
the trailer to increase the tongue weight).  I didn't even
know the trailer was there with that rig (but no blow outs
either).

Tim Mullen