Re: [Shop-talk] trailer advice needed

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] trailer advice needed
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 08:36:18 -0400
Ok, so it seems that everyone is on the same page here.  But I want to tell
a little story about trailer brakes and dual axles.

My buddy borrowed my dual axle, electronic brake trailer a few years ago.
He was coming back from upstate NY and one of the electronic brakes froze
up (turns out a piece inside the brakes broke and froze up the wheel.)

With the wheel skidding, he was able to safely bring the truck to the side
of the road and check the wheel.  That is when he found out that he didn't
have the correct size lug wrench with him.  So he called me to ask what to
do.  I told him that if he felt safe, drag the trailer (skidding wheel and
all) to the nearest garage, which he did.  They where able to get the tire
off for him, but he didn't have a replacement tire.  Ah, the neat trick
with a dual axle is that you can remove a tire and still run the trailer.
(this is what he did until he was able to get to the nearest place for a
new tire.)

I will always recommend dual axle for any heavy load, but brakes are more
optional, IMHO.

Here are pics of the brakes...
http://tinyurl.com/3dygvy

And here is the tire...
http://tinyurl.com/3bvyb8

Moose

"We all know we're dying, And there's no sign of a parachute."
     Tori Amos