[Shop-talk] Automatic transmission rebuild

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Automatic transmission rebuild
From: Johnny Hinman <johnnybh@alltel.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 22:27:39 -0500
-----Original Message-----

>Message: 2
>Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 19:50:12 -0600
>From: "Bill Gingerich" <bill@gingerich.us>
>Subject: [Shop-talk] Automatic transmission rebuild
>To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
>
>Greetings, All.
>

>I have a '93 Ford Escort with a failing automatic transmission.  Slips,
>delayed engagement, delayed shifting, etc.  The car has 90M on it, and is
>solid otherwise.  It was my dad's car from new, so I know the history.  I've
>received quotes of anywhere from $1000 (local shop) to $3000 (dealer) for a
>rebuild.  My problem is I don't have that kind of spare change.  I also
>can't afford to replace the car.  I've looked for a junkyard transmission,
>but most of those have more miles than what I have.  It seems a bit silly to
>spend $400-$600 on a used box that may not be much better than what I have.
>O'Reilly has a master rebuild kit that I can get for $255.  I'd like to fix
>the car, as 30 MPH beats my truck's 14.  OK, so now the question: Is
>rebuilding and automatic something that a slightly above average DIY grease
>monkey can do at home?  I have the factory service CD for the car, but
>haven't read through it yet.
>

>Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated as long as they are
>physically possible.  ;-)
>

>Bill Gingerich
>
>OKC

Bill,

First, I recommend that you get a service manual.  The only factory
service CD that I have leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to
providing the detailed information that you will need to do this
yourself.  I have always found the factory service manual to be a much
more complete reference source.  I also recommend the factory authorized
version over any of the Haynes, Chilton or Motor's manuals.

I found these listed on ebay; you may find them from other sources.  (By
the way, I have no financial interest in any of these offerings.)

1993 Ford Escort/Tracer Service Manual      ebay item #  130176796922

Haynes Repair Manual Ford Escort Tracer 1991 - 2000       ebay item #
200177061887

If you have the ATX transmission, this would be a good purchase.

ATX Ford Escort;Lynx Assembly/ Dissassembly Manual      Item number:
200176343666

If "a slightly above average DIY grease monkey" is competent and
confident enough to do a proper carburetor rebuild, he can probably
rebuild a transmission.  It require special tools, or a good enough
imagination to figure out a work around.

If you like a challenge, want to learn about auto trannies, have the
time, the patience, and the facilities, go for it.  If you're only
looking for an easy way to save a few bucks, this is probably not it.