Re: [Shop-talk] Lug Bolts?

To: "David Hillman" <hillman@planet-torque.com>,
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Lug Bolts?
From: "Mullen, Tim" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 13:14:02 -0600
David Hillman wrote:

> OTOH, replacing a stud is a 2 minute job on any car well-enough
> designed to have a gap in the back for the stud to exit.
> Turn the hub to line up with the gap, whack with hammer, watch
> old stud skitter across garage floor,

The well-enough designed car is rather rare.  The studs I've needed to
replace have been a royal pain - one rear axle required removing the
pumpkin cover to pull the clip to allow the axle to be pulled out in
order to get access to the rear of the hub flange.  Similar problems
with a front wheel drive hub on another car.

Besides, you never want to whack it out with a hammer.  The impact is
bad on the wheel bearings and can damage them.  Press it out with a
large C-clamp and a socket on the back if you can.  Don't hammer on
it...

I've only had one car with lug bolts, and it's not a problem - the wheel
is hub centric and I just lift it onto the hub and line things up.  No
more difficult than my non-hub centric lug nut cars/trucks.  If it was a
problem, I'd just make a "holding" bolt as recommended in previous
posts...

Tim Mullen