Re: [Shop-talk] Lug Bolts?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Lug Bolts?
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 11:21:27 -0800
John Miller wrote:
>> One of my friends did some work for Ford a few years back, and complained
>> bitterly about being sent back to the drawing board, because they felt he
>> could shave $.02 off the unit cost by redesigning for cheaper components.
>> And it wasn't for anything nearly as popular as an F150.

A friend of my father's worked as an engineer for GM. As far as I can
tell, the majority of his career concentrated on the design of the
locking mechanism for the rear doors of various sedans. He made a huge
breakthrough one year by reducing the parts count from 7 to 5, or
something like that ... this single act guaranteed his success at the
company for the rest of his career there.