[Shop-talk] engine building stand

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] engine building stand
From: "john niolon" <jniolon@bham.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 10:48:15 -0600
I'm looking to build a replacement for my wimpy engine stand.  It did fine
for a small block and some sixes but my next project is a 460 that will top
700 #s fully dressed.  My stand will hold the weight but it's a strain and
turning it is near impossible.

I want to build something with bearings in the 'head' that can support the
load and turn easily.  I've heard of one built with the ends of rearends cut
down (with the axle bearings in place) and using the axle for the rod.  Also
heard of some using front spindles or trailer spindles.   Anyone got any
plans or pics of what I'm talking about.  700#s is a pretty good end load so
it needs to be somewhat substantial...

tia

John

All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.