Re: [Shop-talk] engine building stand

Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] engine building stand
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 22:23:30 -0800
> having a helper is great.. I've even done the "hold up the other end and try
> to turn it yourself" boogie too.   My problem is I really don't have anyone
> around when I'm doing the work, or it seems that way.  So, I want to resort
> to mechanical advantage.  I mentioned to Steve.  I'd rather have too much
> spin than not enough.  It's easier to build in 'stop' than 'go'.

I've got a thirty-five-year-old Stroppini engine stand and a
five-year-old Harbor Freight thing.  I've hung my stroked 460 on the
Stroppini without any concerns, I would not hang it on the Harbor
Freight stand.

I've also made a rotisserie for my '65 Mustang that was, in its basic
technology, like a pair of engine stands.  Some axle grease on the
shafts goes a long way.  You could also try wrapping them in UHMW
polyethylene tape.

John.