Re: [Shop-talk] Battery Clarification

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Battery Clarification
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 14:48:33 -0600
Is there any particular reason, other than the cost (which doesn't seem very
different) that manufacturers send nicads with most rechargeable products
that don't warrant lithium ion cells ?

I've replaced nicads with nickel metal hydrides everywhere I could and had
great results.  One slight exception is the Motorola HT-1000 radios we use
for the police auxiliary.  NiMH packs work fine, but the radios, originally
calibrated for nicads, think the battery is getting weak and do their "weak
battery" chirp for hours before the radio actually dies.  I presume NiMH
cells must have a little lower voltage than NiCds.  Other than that little
problem, they work better, last longer (per charge and per replacement), and
don't show the memory effects that some people saw when we used nicads.

Karl