Re: [Shop-talk] Wireless router - signal boost

To: "'Shop-Talk List'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Wireless router - signal boost
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:16:18 -0500
David Hillman wrote:
>     Many, if not most, of the people on this list appear to have
> significant chunks of property.  If your wireless signal doesn't extend
> beyond your house, nevermind off your property, is there really a huge
> risk to using light-duty security?  No.

Don't make too many assumptions about wireless range.  I had a WAP in my 2nd
floor loft / computer room.  The wife & I have similar Dell notebooks with
built in wi-fi.  Both got so-so signals in the house, but almost nothing
outside or in my garage/basement.

Then a friend visited with a notebook with a wi-fi card & protruding antenna.
We installed NetStumbler;  a wi-fi sniffing utility with many and varied uses
that identifies all available wireless networks.  He got a strong signal at the
end of my 200' driveway, and could still connect down the road at probably 500'
away!  On a 5 mile drive through somewhat rural country, it identified 13
networks;  only one appeared to be secured.

With directional antennas, people claim to get MILES of range.  I assume
someone in just the right lucky spot a mile away might be able to find me!

  -Wayne