Re: [Shop-talk] Wireless router - signal boost

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Wireless router - signal boost
From: PJ McGarvey <pj_mcgarvey@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:17:45 -0500
It's almost as trivial to configure WEP security on a router as it is to crack
it these days.  Or as trivial as changing the default password on the router -
which I'm assuming you've done in order to feel as safe as you do.

I hear what you're saying.  But tell the truth, have we all verified from each
of our neighbors houses that they cannot access your router?  With a normal
network card or router, it may not be likely if you have a large property, but
there are relatively easy ways to amplify these signals as we're seeing with
home-made antennas...

Do you want to be the low-hanging fruit running an open network, while your
neighbors are all running some level of security?

I feel it's as basic to mention it as putting on your seatbelt, but then again
it's a big part of what I do for a living and I don't live on property the
size of a farm.  I hope I didn't sound like I was preaching.

PJ