[Shop-talk] hoist and trolley for engine installation

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] hoist and trolley for engine installation
From: "old dirtbeard" <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 12:05:38 -0800
Hi guys,

Ready to replace the engine and transmission in my '74 TR6, and my "new"
garage has a 10"x4"x3/8" I-beam across one of the bays (the guy who built it
clearly put it there for a hoist). It also is pre-wired for 240 AC in case I
wanted an electric hoist.

Looking at McMaster, I see a = ton hand chain CM 622 hoist and trolley
combination for about $300 and a one ton combo for about $360.

I am not going to be pulling engines daily (or even yearly), so installing a
hoist would be an indulgence (one I would like to think I deserve), but I do
have a pretty good hydraulic floor engine hoist I used to take the engine
out, so I could use it to put it back in. But a trolley hoist would seem
like a nice addition to the garage nonetheless.

My questions for the group are:
1.       Would the above CM 622 work well or would you recommend some other
options?
2.       Electric would be nice, but they are pretty pricey - any ideas for
locating a used hoist (I am in the Los Angeles area if there are some locals
here - Randall?)
3.       I am assuming that an I-beam hoist will be a lot nicer to use than
a floor hoist, but what is your experience? (here I am wondering about
positioning the engine - the trolley will allow me lateral movement, but for
fore and aft, I suppose I would need to push the car as opposed to pushing
the floor hoist around -- car could not be on jack stands, etc.).

Any other tips or advice would be appreciated greatly before I spend
unwisely. Thank you.

best,

doug
'72 BSA B50SS