Re: [Shop-talk] hoist and trolley for engine installation

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] hoist and trolley for engine installation
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 20:43:34 -0800
> pickers have lots of other uses around the house.  I've used my to remove an
> old window air conditioner, uproot a bush, and pull up a porch lantern base
> that was set in concrete.  You can't do any of those with a garage I-beam.

We once inherited this what-was-then-big Mitsubishi television from my
wife's sister.  It was built like a moderate-quality coffin and weighed
about as much as a small-block Ford.  It sat out in the garage while we
tried to find friends who didn't suddenly have back problems.

Finally one morning while my wife was visiting her mother I managed to
cherry-picker it onto a castered piece of plywood sitting on the
front-door landing over the threshold, dismantled the cherry picker,
laid out some plywood on the floor, reassembled the cherry picker in the
hallway, rolled the plywood in a ways, slung the TV from the
cherry-picker on some nylon straps, lowered it down into our sunken
living room, half-disassembled the hoist and moved it down into the
living room, slung the TV again, nailed together a little stand to
support the TV in front of its niche at the proper height, put some
Teflon strips under the TV's feet, lowered it onto the stand and heaved
it into where it was going, then dismantled and removed all the support
apparatus.

It took a bit for my wife to notice it when she got home, fortunately
I'd recorded the process in photos...

John.