[Shop-talk] Cast iron to PVC soil pipe adapter?

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Cast iron to PVC soil pipe adapter?
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 16:27:30 -0500
I'm adding a half bath in the basement and I'm toying with doing the
plumbing myself. My soil pipe is cast iron, laid horizontally just
under the surface of the slab. Then there are 2 45s to bring it
vertical. I need to yank out the 45s and insert a 90. I've seen
adapters online for inserting vertically PVC pipe into cast iron
flanges, but never horizontal where the water will theoretically sit
on the joint. Do I use the same fitting or is it a different process?
Is there a brand name fitting? Which sealant or caulk?

thanks,
jim