[Shop-talk] Gambrel Roof Aesthetics?

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Gambrel Roof Aesthetics?
From: Rush <jdrush@enter.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 22:17:31 -0400
My wife and I are designing our gambrel-roof barn/shed on CAD. We are
using my favorite EZ joint makers, Simpson Strong-tie, so it will be
hella strong. Therefore we can design the roof profile more for space
and aesthetics than worrying about strength.

I'd bet you've all seen barns and sheds where the gambrel roof was
aesthetically unpleasing. Since we started designing this, I've noticed
many that are too squat or the upper segment was too wide. In CAD we can
push and pull the roof rafters any which way we want. So have you ever
seen any discussion of gambrel roof aesthetics? We'd like to get the
proportions right. We live near an upscale neighborhood and wouldn't
want to offend. :P

Jon