Re: [Shop-talk] jack stands

To: Marc <smarc@smarc.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] jack stands
From: "Paul Parkanzky" <parkanzky@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:29:26 -0400
I'm not.  My recommendation would be to find a distributor with a
showroom.  I purchased mine from Greg Smith Equipment (Or something
like that).  Their main location is in Indianapolis, so my car buddy
and I surprised my wife and his girlfriend with a weekend in
Indianapolis (Oh, and we're going to swing by this place and look
around for a bit... ;).  It was nice because they sell both the Direct
Lift and the BendPak lifts, and they had about a dozen lifts setup in
their showroom (A few with cars, trucks, or motorcycles on them).
That allowed me to see what you get for the extra money you spend on a
BendPak and decide whether it was worth it to me.

My finding (and others may see it differently) is that the Direct Lift
and the BendPak were very similar in 'toughness,' but that the BendPak
had much better finish.  Carefully ground welds and smoother, more
uniform powder coating.  The BendPak was definitely nicer, but I
decided that the Direct Lift did the same job and basically just as
well for way less money.  If I were going to be using this primarily
for storage so that I could put my Ferrari over my Lamborghini in my
flashy garage then I would probably spring for the BendPak or Rotary.
For something I'm going to beat up and use to turn wrenches I kind of
like not having to worry about scratching it up.

-Paul