Re: [Shop-talk] jack stands

To: Marc <smarc@smarc.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] jack stands
From: "Paul Parkanzky" <parkanzky@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:05:42 -0400
On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 2:43 PM, Marc <smarc@smarc.net> wrote:
> Paul - Is the Direct Lift the one that BackYard Buddy talks down all the
> time? BTW, I appreciate the offer, but I'm in Maryland....
>
> Marc

I'm looking at the page here:

http://www.backyardbuddy.com/auto-lift-comparison.asp

And while that lift is similar to mine, the locking system is
completely different and my posts are much thicker material than
those.  My lift does have a flow restrictor.  On mine, there is a
'lock ladder' that sits inside the legs.  It is a thick piece of steel
with holes cut out for the locks to engage.  The lift automatically
locks when lowered if the lock handle is not pulled.  Also, the lock
automatically engages if there is slack on the cable at any corner.
It does not need to be bolted to the floor.  Mine is not.  I feel
completely safe working under it.  It is extremely solid and the
design is relatively fool-proof.

As I said, I think mine has been discontinued, but I see that the Pro
Park 8S columns are under 7' and that includes the cable mounts in the
top.  You'd have to look at if you can get your truck on there.  One
thing to consider/remember is that the lift comes with casters and
it's extremely easy to move around.  If the posts clear your door
opening you can roll it out into the drive to give you more clearance
underneath if you wanted it for a quick job.

No financial interest in any of this, I just can't see buying the
Kwik-Lift when a 4-post does everything it does better.  You still
won't be able to lift a car that high with your ceiling height (and
even less if the door is up), but at least it is higher and you have
open access from the sides.

Good luck.  Since I got the lift I have kicked myself for not having
it a long time ago!

-Paul