Re: [Shop-talk] water filter for blast cabinet

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] water filter for blast cabinet
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 07:55:12 -0400
At 10:24 PM 5/9/2008 -0400, Marc wrote:

>Whats the secret to making a water filter out of a 5 gallon  bucket? I
>came across the idea on a bbs somewhere, but it was kind of vague.

Mark,

You're right on target.  And Donald has some great suggestions.

However, I made my shop vac the water trap.  I usually keep an
old small shop vac around for the blast cabinet.  (Watch yard sales
for used ones.)  I must admitt that I have trashed the bearings
on the motors of a couple over the years, blasting.

Make sure that they have a deflector on the inlet port that is pointing
down, or is rotatable.  (You can always make one out of some flashing
and pop rivet it to the vac.)  Point the deflector down so the dust
will be deflected to the bottom of the vac.  Put a couple of inches
of water on the bottom of the vac, and you have a water trap in
you vac.  Less hoses, and pieces.

John

>I have a 5 gal paint bucket with lid. Cut two holes, insert pvc pipe and
>seal. 1st pipe is the inlet, and goes about halfway into the bucket.
>2nd pipe is the outlet, and extends about one inch into the bucket.
>Water level is below the inlet pipe. The idea is that a flex hose goes
>from the sand blast cabinet to the inlet,  and the outlet is connected
>to a shop vac. Dust particles are sucked into the bucket, hit the water
>and stay there.
>
>Problem is apparently the air is coming into the bucket so fast that
>water droplets are being sucked into the vac. Not so good for the
>filter... I have experimented with different water levels, but same problem.
>
>Anyone made one that works? Is there some sort of baffle needed?
>
>--
>
>Marc
>
>http://www.team.net/archive

Va. Beach, Va