Re: [Shop-talk] water filter for blast cabinet

To: Donald H Locker <dhlocker@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] water filter for blast cabinet
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 10:01:14 -0700
   This  is  what  I  have  done.   I  ran the inlet side below the water
   surface.   I then made a baffle that sits a couple of inches below the
   lid  of  the  bucket.  The baffle is a piece of round sheet metal that
   that  has a 3 legs in it to hold it up and a bunch of holes drilled in
   the  metal.  That  keeps  most of the water out of the shop vac and it
   works fine.
   Blast  cabinet bong tip of the day:  Label very port as "in" and "out"
   with  a  sharpie.  If you get it backwards you will push all the water
   out  of  the  water filter into the blast cabinet.  Water soaked glass
   beads are a bitch.
   -g
   Donald H Locker wrote:

You need to reduce the velocity and turbulence of the air entering the bucket.
Best ways are:

1. reduce air flow.  Use a smaller outlet pipe (or choke the one you have
installed) until the droplets stop and you still have enough air flow to suck
the dust from the work area.  If you can't reduce the air flow enough to stop
the water without also losing the dust collection, try next method.

2.  reduce inlet air turbulence.  Put a large number of soda straws (raid the
local Mikey Dees or buy a hundred at the grocery) in the inlet pipe where it
points to the water surface to form a "honeycomb" air straightener.  The air
will impinge on the water fairly smoothly, and won't splash as much.  If that
doesn't work, move on to method 3.

3.  reduce inlet air velocity.  Remove the soda straw air straightener and put
conical diffuser on the pipe into the bucket.  (An exponential horn would be
better, but it's hard to make; a cone with an included angle of 12 degrees or
less should work OK.)  The air will slow down as it approaches the open-most en
of the cone and won't stir up as much water.

In any case, it would probably help to put some kind of baffle between the wate
surface and the pipe leading to your shop vac.  Just a flat plate that stands a
few inches away from the inlet to the outlet pipe would probably help.

Let us know how it works out,
Donald.

Marc wrote:

Whats the secret to making a water filter out of a 5 gallon  bucket? I
came across the idea on a bbs somewhere, but it was kind of vague.

I have a 5 gal paint bucket with lid. Cut two holes, insert pvc pipe and
seal. 1st pipe is the inlet, and goes about halfway into the bucket.
2nd pipe is the outlet, and extends about one inch into the bucket.
Water level is below the inlet pipe. The idea is that a flex hose goes
from the sand blast cabinet to the inlet,  and the outlet is connected
to a shop vac. Dust particles are sucked into the bucket, hit the water
and stay there.

Problem is apparently the air is coming into the bucket so fast that
water droplets are being sucked into the vac. Not so good for the
filter... I have experimented with different water levels, but same problem.

Anyone made one that works? Is there some sort of baffle needed?
You are subscribed as wmgilroy@gmail.com