[Shop-talk] pvc unions?

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] pvc unions?
From: scott.hall@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 14:40:02 +0000
I need to disassemble some pvc tubing on a swimming pool filter system.  right
now the tubing is permanently plumbed to the filter.  when I cut the lines to
remove the filter, I'd like to be able to install something that will let me
disconnect the filter again for service later without cutting the pipe.  I was
thinking something like what you connect a p-trap with, only larger, but I
don't see anything like that.

does anyone know of such fittings?  I cruised the big box stores and didn't see
anything--only repair sleeves for gluing.  it's about 2-inch pvc tubing, for
what it's worth.

also, anyone know a good abs glue/sealant (separate issue).  the filter body
itself is made of what appears to be abs and a 1.5" threaded plug in the body
has developed a crack.  I haven't been able to find another one and the company
that makes the filter has been bought out.  I'd prefer not to buy a new filter
just for the plug.

thanks.

scott