Re: [Shop-talk] pvc unions?

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] pvc unions?
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 10:53:32 -0400
scott.hall@comcast.net wrote:
> when I cut the lines to remove the filter, I'd like to be able to install
>something that will let me disconnect the filter again for service later
>without cutting the pipe.  I was thinking something like what you connect a
>p-trap with, only larger, but I don't see anything like that.

You've got the name right, it's a pipe union.  They should be easily
available in PVC.  I know I've seen them up to 1" or 1.5" on well pump
installations.  The 2" is somewhat unusual; might need to go to a
plumbing supply store.

> also, anyone know a good abs glue/sealant (separate issue).  the filter body
>itself is made of what appears to be abs and a 1.5" threaded plug in the body
>has developed a crack.

There is pipe glue just for ABS.  I forget if it's one that needs a
"primer", so look for that.  Easily available at Lowes/HD.  Are you sure
it's ABS?  The glue has to be matched to the plastic.  It also tends to
be viscous stuff, and won't "wick" down into a crack well, so I don't
know how well it would work if just brushed on the surface.

   -Wayne