Re: [Shop-talk] pvc unions?

Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] pvc unions?
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 10:06:57 -0700
> Odd as it sounds, a friend of mine used a truck radiator hose to form a
> union for his new pool pump.

It doesn't sound too odd to me; as long as it's protected from solar UV
(which is an issue for any plastic or rubber pipe outdoors) I wouldn't
think anything about that application represents the kind of stress it'd
see in a vehicle engine compartment.  There's minimal pressure and as
long as there's no axial tension on it to help the ends creep on the
pipe (hmm, is there such a thing as a 1.5in or 2in glue-on PVC hose
barb?) it shouldn't come loose.

> plumbing, according to him.  I may try something similar, since I have a lot
> of trouble with the outlet fitting cracking right at the pump body.

There's always schedule 80 PVC.

I've found Home Depot, Lowe's etc to be of limited utility when it comes
to plumbing supplies, they carry 60-70% of what's needed for any serious
work and you always end up hunting elsewhere for the stuff that makes
for an easy job.

Around here at least we've got Ewing Irrigation Supply that's got a far
better selection of valves and PVC fittings and pipe; their pricing is
okay (Sch80 PVC is going to be expensive no matter what, unless a bunch
of it falls off a truck in front of your house.)

McMaster-Carr has all the odd-size copper sweat fittings you need for
air plumbing and doing a nice job on lavatories, icemakers, etc.

John.