Re: [Shop-talk] OT - Java is sloooow

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] OT - Java is sloooow
From: PJ McGarvey <pj_mcgarvey@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 15:35:43 -0400
No idea on that one, but possibly a different browser could improve the
situation.  Firefox 3 is much better than IE (imho) and faster.

Maybe reinstalling Java?  I've seen various versions not play nice with
certain web apps, sites, etc. Maybe uninstall and try a slightly older
version.

PJ> From: kvacek@ameritech.net> To: shop-talk@autox.team.net> Date: Tue, 12
Aug 2008 14:27:38 -0500> Subject: [Shop-talk] OT - Java is sloooow> > OK,
since we're on computers, I have a real problem with Java applications.>
Anything written in Java takes forever to load, and boy am I sick of seeing>
their stupid little coffee cup for minutes at a time while waiting for a>
weather map or some business data site to open up. When the evil Microsoft>
empire had their own J-script Java substitute in Windows, everything was fine>
and Java apps ran fine. Since J-script was eliminated and I have to use>
actual Java, Java apps are glacial.> > Googling "Java slow" or similar gets
lots of programmer discussions about> whether or not Java is actually slow to
compile or whatever, but nothing about> an end-user's experience of slowness.>
> What alternatives are there ?? I've updated Java, etc., but no help. Looks>
like J-script isn't an option with XP ??> > P-III 1000 MHz Dell laptop, 512 MB
RAM (all it can address), XP with the> latest Service Pack and updates from MS
Update.> > And yeah, I know I need a new computer, but the four computers I've
built or> purchased since getting this one have been for the kids for college.
Besides,> I don't do anything important on my laptop except, well, 100% of my
work.....> > Thanks !> Karl