Re: [Shop-talk] OT - Java is sloooow

To: "Battmain" <battmain@yahoo.com>, "shoptalk"
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] OT - Java is sloooow
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 16:29:20 -0500
The same thing happens on the 2GHz P4 I built 2 years ago.  The slowness is
in the initial Java start-up, which takes under a minute usually, but on
some websites several minutes (really).

Booting of my pre-Cambrian laptop takes under a minute, which still matches
pretty well to most computers.  I do start more crap than I'd prefer, but I
do control start-up apps and these are pretty much what I've settled on.
Actually, besides spending so much on kids' tuition and getting them new
computers, etc, I really haven't found it that necessary to have a faster
machine.  I run Word and Excel lall day every day, along with snagging stuff
off various Internet data sites.  The only time the computer itself is
maddeningly slow is when it's doing some dedicated thing like a defrag,
virus scan, etc., and that's pretty much scheduled for off-hours.

I tried downloading J-script a month or two ago, but ran into some snag -
don't remember what it was, but it just wasn't happening and I was short on
time so I quit trying.

As far as FireFart, BTDT.  But not to be an old curmudgeon I just downloaded
and installed their latest version and tried it again.  Java starts the same
way but a bit slower than IE, and FireFox itself starts significantly slower
than IE, which itself starts fairly quickly.

I still think it's Java.  Like Adopey, they seem to hate PC's and want to
make everything they write run poorly on a PC so the user will blame the PC.

Oh well.  If Java weren't such a hog I'd leave it running all the time.

Thanks!
Karl