[Shop-talk] OT - Java is sloooow

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] OT - Java is sloooow
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 14:27:38 -0500
OK, since we're on computers, I have a real problem with Java applications.
Anything written in Java takes forever to load, and boy am I sick of seeing
their stupid little coffee cup for minutes at a time while waiting for a
weather map or some business data site to open up.  When the evil Microsoft
empire had their own J-script Java substitute in Windows, everything was fine
and Java apps ran fine.  Since J-script was eliminated and I have to use
actual Java, Java apps are glacial.

Googling "Java slow" or similar gets lots of programmer discussions about
whether or not Java is actually slow to compile or whatever, but nothing about
an end-user's experience of slowness.

What alternatives are there ??  I've updated Java, etc., but no help.  Looks
like J-script isn't an option with XP ??

P-III 1000 MHz Dell laptop, 512 MB RAM (all it can address), XP with the
latest Service Pack and updates from MS Update.

And yeah, I know I need a new computer, but the four computers I've built or
purchased since getting this one have been for the kids for college.  Besides,
I don't do anything important on my laptop except, well, 100% of my work.....

Thanks !
Karl

"Veni, Vidi, volo in domum redire."  (I came, I saw, I want to go home.)