Re: [Shop-talk] Load bearing walls

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Load bearing walls
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 23:35:18 -0500
The rule of thumb for a header supporting a residential span is the
number of span feet = the height of the header in inches. E.g., a 10'
span would need a doubled 2 x 10 as a header.

Wood is very strong in compression, so a 2x4 trimmer stud should work
fine, but there may be localized codes you need to adhere to,
including getting a structural engineer. And the biggest part of all
this is to make sure the trimmer studs are weighing on something
that's rated for the load. A normal floor joist is only rated for a
live load, which I believe is 40 lbs/sf.  A structural engineer can
tell you if a simple doubling of the affected floor joists are enough
to carry the new load, or if you need to do something as drastic as
installing new piers or lally columns. Think like the weight and
you'll get a pretty good idea of what you may be up against.

jim