Re: [Shop-talk] re aligning dish network dish

To: "john niolon" <jniolon@bham.rr.com>, "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] re aligning dish network dish
From: Steve Shipley <shiples@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 21:40:10 -0800
At 09:09 PM 1/27/2009 -0600, john niolon wrote:
>having a new roof put on house... sat dish is on roof... roofers will remove
>dish and install roof... I wanted to get dish network people to re aim dish.
>
>called and they wanted 100 buck service call and earliest they can come is
>2/6/9... unacceptable
>
>how hard is it to aim a sat dish ???  I have the az/ele/sk numbers but
>whatzat  mean ???
>
>thanks
>John

I bought a signal strength meter but if I recall, my box had some
sort of utility that did the same thing.  The problem is that until you
have the dish pointed in the right direction, there's no signal.

I'd look at the setup function on your box and see if the signal strength
function
is available.  Since your existing installation is already aimed, you
should be able to
take approximate measurements with improvised tools(Compass, Level).
Move the dish a bit to see how it affects the signal strength.  A little
experimentation will show you how challenging it is.

You reinstall the dish, aiming it with the data you gathered before the
roofers removed the dish.  You then complete the aiming with signal strength.

It's pretty easy to do, and you have an advantage since you're working with
an existing installation.  In my case, I should have paid for the installation.
I spent several days trying to find the initial orientation of the dish.  I'm
sure the local installers can get it close by eyeballing it.

Reminds me of repairing copper water lines.  Easy if you know how.