Re: [Shop-talk] re aligning dish network dish

To: shoptalk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] re aligning dish network dish
From: Battmain <battmain@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 06:34:55 -0800 (PST)
Aiming is extremely easy to do. Every sat box out there has a
utility that
will tell you the signal strength and all the numbers
needed for your zip
code. (ie-skew, azimuth, elevation). The
hardest part of the whole process is
getting the mount squared
and climbing on the roof. The mount must be
perfectly vertical
otherwise you're going to spend a few minutes pulling your
hair
out. Since your dish was already installed, it will be rather close
already. If you know when the roofers are coming, remove the
dish yourself.
There are usually two cables going to each LNB.
You will want to label them
as it makes a difference if the installers
used a switch to distribute the
signals to your boxes. The customer
service people make it seem like it is
rocket science. It is far from it.
When I first got my dish, it was up and
running within 10 minutes. I
attached it to my wooden fence and got it aimed,
then had the
cable running through the window. The setup utility built into
the
box and it generates a tone depending on the signal strength.
I was able
to hear it outside with the tv volume on high.

The information provided
about cancelling is also excellent.
If you've been a customer at least 5
years, the 'cancellation'
department will jump through hoops to keep you.
I've found
that the agents will sometimes conveniently forget to do stuff
and lock you into another year and the credits somehow go
missing. Complain
loudly however and they magically reappear.
Ebay has the signal strength
meters for around $10 shipped.
They are simple tone generators and are
extremely sensitive.
I've aligned the dish to a 100 percent signal without
the meter.
The closer you are to 100, the better you're able to keep the
tv
going during rain storms.

Brian
battmain@yahoo.com