[Shop-talk] Airless paint sprayer belly up

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Airless paint sprayer belly up
From: Pat Horne <pat@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 20:17:18 -0500
Yesterday I had just completed the first of two finish coats of latex
paint on a house when the spray pressure dropped to almost nothing. The
more I tried to get it back up, the lower it got until it didn't pump at
all. This is an old SprayTech/Wagoner diaphragm type pump unit. I set it
aside and rented another  spray rig to finish the second coat on the house.

Today I started taking the pump apart to see what the problem was. When
I pulled the diaphragm out I found paint on the hydraulic side of the
diaphragm. Rats! a torn diaphragm! oh, well, that shouldn't be too bad
to replace.

I then opened up the hydraulic side of things only to find that it was
about half paint and half hydraulic oil! What a mess! The oil had
emulsified with the paint so that the whole thing was full of off-white
goo. Water wouldn't cut the oil, so after I tried lacquer thinner with
minimal success, I tried some Gunk AquaSeal. It worked great! It cut
through the oily stuff fine and caused the paint to separate out without
a problem. Now all I need to do is put it back together with a new
diaphragm and seals and it will be ready for another 10 years!

Just thought someone out there might need to find a way to get rid on
paint and oil a the same time.

Peace,
Pat

--
Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice            5026 FM 2001