[Shop-talk] pvc plumbing/cement question

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] pvc plumbing/cement question
From: scott.hall@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 04:54:49 +0000 (UTC)
I'm re-plumbing part of the pool filter/pump setup again. I had to cut the
supply and return lines about four inches off the ground. now the supply (the
ones that feed to the pump and filter from the floor and skimmer drains) are
flowing water. not an incredible amount--I used two caps just pressed on the
ends of the cut pipe and they're sealing the lines.

but...how do I get the new fittings glued on? the lines are flowing enough
water that the second I remove the caps, they flow a pretty good amount of
water. the cement says to apply it to clean and dry pipe. there's no way to
pull the caps off, prime and/or cement and slap on the new fitting before the
exterior of the pipe would be washed down.

the lines are 1.5", so plugging them from the inside (and being able to remove
the plug after installing the rest of the plumbing) is also problematic--the
only thing I can think of are rubber plugs and clearly they won't work. and
1.5" is a little too big for wonderbread, and there's probably too much water
pressure anyway.

I can't figure out why the lines are flowing in the first place, either. the
cut ends are above both the skimmers and (obviously) the floor drain...but
water's coming out. the water is not meeting its own level. I can plug the
skimmers, but the only way to get the floor drain dry is to drain the
pool...which I can't do now since I've cut the pipe.

so, anybody know of either a pvc cement that can be applied and used while the
pieces are wet, or else a way to plug large pvc lines internally, then remove
the plug after a fitting is installed? the fittings are union fittings and ball
valves, so I'll be within a few inches of the plug, but the hole it has to come
out is a good bit smaller than the i.d. of the pipe.

or barring that, anybody want to tell me what physics magic to work to make the
water stop flowing uphill?

thanks in advance.