Re: [Shop-talk] sigh...now the pool PUMP is out

To: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] sigh...now the pool PUMP is out
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 18:51:10 -0400
On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 6:22 PM, Randall<tr3driver@ca.rr.com> wrote:
>> There are capacitor run motors, as well. B Where the start winding is
>> left attached.
>
> That's true, but at least the ones I'm familiar with have two capacitors
and
> contacts to take the start capacitor out of the circuit once the motor is
> running. B A much smaller 'run' capacitor is left in the circuit (along
with
> the start winding) to improve the motor's performance.

that's how higher power ones work.  There are small ones that have the
(very small) cap permanently owered.  They've got more starting torque
than a shaded pole motor, but less than a dedicated starting cap.  The
other advantage is that if you swich which winding the cap is wired
to, the motor will rotate the other direction.  I've seen them in
fairly small air handling equipment.  I don't think they're used for
things more than 1/3 horse or so.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com