Re: [Shop-talk] mower engine issue

To: scott hall <scott.hall@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] mower engine issue
From: Donald H Locker <dhlocker@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 02:29:02 +0000 (UTC)
The rod is the connection from the governor to the throttle.  It's probably
oscillating because there is no load on the engine, but it might be the spark
plug or poor mixture.  The spring won't provide any damping on its own, but if
you hold the rod steady, you are holding the throttle steady and the engine
speed should be constant.  If it is, then I would consider the plug and fueling
system to be OK and look for a sticky governor or just some way to apply a load
to the engine - they aren't designed to operate with no load and the governor
will hunt under those conditions.

Try to see what the other end of the rod is attached to - I'd expect either a
vane in the cooling fan airstream or a flyweight governor might be buried in an
impossible-to-disassemble mechanical box.  Both kinds of governors will leave
the throttle wide open when the engine is off, then start to close the throttle
as the sensed speed approaches the set point.

The spring should probably be attached so as to close the throttle and was
probably attached to the speed control - pulling the knob or twisting the lever
further releases some of the spring tenson and allows the engine to run faster.
 There should still be another spring (it might be buried in the flyweight
governor mechanism or attached to the wind vane) to urge the throttle closed
unless the speed is lower than the setpoint.

HTH,
Donald.