Re: [Shop-talk] mower engine issue

To: "'Shop Talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] mower engine issue
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 22:10:31 -0700
> someone's going to end
> up in the e.r., I'm sure. <grin>

Boy, does that bring back memories.  I must've been about 11 when we tried
building a go-kart out of old lawnmower parts.  Wooden chassis, steering by
pivoting a 2x4 on a central bolt, belt drive to one rear wheel with no
clutch.  To stop, we drug our feet on the pavement.  Throttle linkage was
just a length of wire laying over the driver's shoulder ... probably would
have worked better if we had felt the need for some sort of return spring.

As I recall, we each took a turn going ass over tea kettle before the
carburetor broke off and the project was retired.

Anyway, basically the governor is required to avoid over-speeding the engine
when you aren't cutting any grass.

And unless you are planning on building a mower again after your ER visit, I
think you can safely ignore the governor mechanism.  Well, "safe" relative
to building a go-kart from lawnmower parts anyway <G>

Randall