Re: [Shop-talk] automated home/garage lighting

To: Phil Nase <nases@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] automated home/garage lighting
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 10:20:32 -0400
On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 9:57 AM, Phil Nase <nases@verizon.net> wrote:

> I have installed several "sensor" type switches that never worked for me.
>  My home to garage entrance has the light switch about 7 feet above the
> garage floor and just doesn't see us.  They don't seem to be adjustable to
> the angles I require.  Also it seems to make the CFLs flicker badly.

Seems we always have our hands full entering the garage and I would like the
> lights off when we leave (and to stay on while I'm working out there).  It
> would also be great to have something for the most common areas of the house
> we occupy while home.
>
> Anything good out there that can be done without major wiring?  We're
> always trying to find ways to save resources.  Thanks as always.

I'd suggest a motion sensor at the fixture.  It can point down.  Some have
two sensors, which let you point one at the door to the house (so it comes
on when you open door to come out) and the other down (to catch you working
in the garage.)

Another possibility is a garage door opener.  Many modern ones can be told
to leave the lights on, and many can be configured to turn the lights back
on whenever the electirc eye is tripped.  (and of course, the lights come on
when you open the door.)
--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com