Re: [Shop-talk] HF Tire Changer

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] HF Tire Changer
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 22:12:09 -0700
> For $50, I'm
> thinking about buying an
> HF tire changer

I'll ditto pretty much everything Steve said, except that I was able to
reinforce the original arm for the bead breaker with some bolts & pipe;
which has been enough to break everything I've tried it on.  ISTR I also
moved one of the pivot points to work better with my 15" Triumph wheels.

It also helps if you pay attention to the bead on the other side of the
wheel, and make sure it drops into the groove in the center.  For some
tires, I've had to use pry bars to force it down while I used the supplied
bar to lever the other side up and over the edge of the rim.

It will also give you an excellent upper body workout ... last dis/mount I
did with mine took me over an hour and I was sweating profusely by the time
I was done.

I used big lag bolts and lead expanding anchors directly into my garage
floor; then simply remove the bolts and move the changer to the corner when
I'm not using it.  Takes a lot of force, doesn't seem like wood would do the
trick, to me.

Oh yeah, I think America's Tire only charged me about $4 per tire for a
dismount, and maybe $3 to dispose of the tire.  For nine tires, I'd go to
them unless you really need the exercise.

Randall