Re: [Shop-talk] HF Tire Changer

To: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] HF Tire Changer
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 17:03:13 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Fri, 9 Oct 2009, Steven Trovato wrote:
> http://www.nomartirechanger.com/
>
> Take a look at their videos.  They make it all look so easy!

I can see something like that setup if you don't have power or air
available, but when basic powered rim clamp tire machines are $900 or so
new and used can be had for less, I think a hand powered setup like this
would be a bad choice.

> Anyway, I think the reason to have a tire changer, HF or otherwise, is
> really convenience for most people.  And a little bit of that "I just
> want to do it myself" attitude we all have on this list.  Unless you
> really change a lot of tires, the money saved is minimal.  If this is
> really just about 9 tires, ask around at a few places.  Just tell them
> you want to dismount 9 tires and you don't feel like spending a fortune.
> Someone should offer you a "package deal".  If you do it when you're
> buying tires for some other car, or having some sort of work done, your
> negotiating position is even better.

I have an old RC-1 Coats machine that I got for free because a buddy owed
me a favor.  Even if I'd bought it, its long since paid for itself over
the years.  I've probably mounted twenty or thirty sets of tires with it
at a minimum.  Biggest thing for me is convience... When I want to get a
set of race tires mounted up I go out to the garage and do it, no need to
wait for daytime, drive to the shop, etc.

And if it were me needing to dismount 9 tires and I didn't care about the
tires, I'd probably try cutting them off before I bought a tire machine.

Mark