Re: [Shop-talk] HF Tire Changer

To: "Jim Stone" <jandkstone99@msn.com>, "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] HF Tire Changer
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 09:40:50 -0400
I have the HF tire changer but use it mostly with their motorcycle adapter
for, umm, motorcycle tires*. (Motorcycle dealers charge full retail plus
often exorbitant mount & balance fees. 10,000 miles out of a motorcycle tire
is considered great mileage. On-line tire prices are sometimes 1/3 to 1/2 of
dealer prices so it doesn't take long to get back the cost of the HF tire
changer.)

As mentioned by others it will work best if solidly anchored to the floor. I
bolted mine to a 4'X4' piece of plywood. Thus, in use, I am standing on the
platform the tire changer is attached to and this works OK. Someday I will
likely put threaded inserts into the garage floor so it can be bolted down
with adequate working space all around it yet be removable between use.

I haven't needed to re-inforce the bead breaker but I can see the need if
one is trying to break 20 year old stubborn tires in one swell foop. I
usually just work my way around the bead, loosening it bit by bit.

The HF mount/demount bar is adequate at best. A machinist friend on a
motorcycle list made an improved version that has a tough plastic section on
the business end (delrin type material bolted to the bar with countersunk
screws). This avoids scratching the rim and also lowers friction making it
work much easier/better.

* The MC tire adapter will also work for MG wire wheels...

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC
http://home.mebtel.net/~ejrussell