Re: [Shop-talk] Roofing options for access to a steep roof

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Roofing options for access to a steep roof
From: Jimmie Mayfield <mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 08:57:26 -0400
On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 02:24:19PM -0400, Steven Trovato wrote:
> There are roofing brackets made for this purpose, but they are usually not
> left permanently installed.  Check here for an example:
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000224N2.  The idea is that as you
> install the roof, you nail up these brackets.  Then, because of the angled
> nail slots, you can push up on the bracket and remove it from under the
> shingle that is now on top.  Pretty much anything you leave up there
> permanently would be less than attractive.  Is this out of view or in a
> place where appearance doesn't matter?

That's similar to what I was thinking about.  I suppose for aesthetics,
the bracket itself wouldn't need to be attached permanently.  I suppose
the only permanent part need be some threaded studs that the brackets could
attach to.  Not sure how well something like that could be weather-sealed,
though.

As far as visibility, they'll be partially obscured by trees but otherwise
visible.

JM