[Shop-talk] Roofing options for access to a steep roof

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Roofing options for access to a steep roof
From: Jimmie Mayfield <mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 12:46:16 -0400
It's about time to have my roof reshingled.  It's fairly steep (12-12) and
I need access to parts of it from time to time to reach some of the 2nd floor
gutters and soffits.  Even with gutter guards I find that I need to clean them
out every 4-5 years and I won't talk about the time I had to climb up there
to reinforce the soffits to keep raccoons out...

I've never felt comfortable using sofa cushions like some roofers use so the
3 or 4 times I've needed to climb up there, I've nailed some 2x6s to stand
against, patching the holes as I came down.  For the new roof, I want to do
something that doesn't put new holes in the roof every time I need to
get up there.

I'm thinking maybe some permanent L-brackets that I can mount boards to when
I need to climb up there.  Anyone ever done something like this?  Any
better alternatives?

JM