Re: [Shop-talk] window replacement

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] window replacement
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 11:21:27 -0500
At 08:12 AM 11/17/2009, john niolon wrote:

 >my wood frame windows are nearly 20 years old and are starting to look
 >really bad... I paint every three-four years and I hate window painting !!
 >Anyone had any good/bad experience with Window World or any of the other
 >dealers... want to go with a full vinyl and do away with window painting.
 >Wondering also what they do about inside window trim ???

John,

I had mine house done about 2 yrs ago.  I called about 5 places and
got estimates, but didn't call Window World.  I could't believe the
$189 installed

I finally went with a local company that had been in business for about 50 yrs.
I was relatively supprised at how easy it was to pull the windows out from the
outside.  But the new windows will be just a little smaller because the don't
remove the inside trim and really take the old window frame out.

There was only 1 fellow installing my windows (15 including a picture window
it the bay window area) and it took him about 3 1/2 days to complete
the job.  Most of the estimates were from $6-$8K.  I ended up at just over $7K.

After I did mine, the lady behind me (same style house) had Window World do
her house.  She opted for an upgrade to the $189 window and it cost her within
$500 of what it cost me.  When Window World did hers, they sent a crew of 2 or
3 fellows and did the job in 1 day.

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229