Re: [Shop-talk] window replacement

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] window replacement
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 13:17:32 -0500
At 12:01 PM 11/17/2009, Doug Braun wrote:

 >...But it is probably not worth it from just the energy-saving
perspective, and I
 >would not be happy if the windows were smaller or looked funny or if the trim
 >got messed up.    But on many of the windows, the add-on storm window frame
 >opening is a bit smaller than the window glass area, so smaller windows
 >without storms might let in just as much light.

Doug,

I guess that depends on where you live and how you heat your house.  I live in
Virginia Beach, VA, the most south eastern part of the state on the
Atlantic ocean
and Chesapeake bay.  We seldom get much below 32 deg.  Maybe a week in
a year.  Because of that, most of the newer construction (post 75) homes have
heat pumps.  My house is all electric, heat pump with aux. resistive heating
strips, electric stove and clothes dryer.  There is NO gas in my neighborhood.

That said, when I was looking the new "replacement" windows, I was guarenteed
a 25% savings in my heating and cooling bill.  I asked, since it was
all electric,
how would I know?  They didn't have any answers.

So I tracked my electrical useage (in KWH).  From the year before I put in the
windows, I saw a 5% reduction in my electrical consumption.  After that year,
I installed ventless gas logs in my fire place (which I did not use -
because it
sucked all the heat out of the house).  When the house was cold, I'd cut on the
gas logs.  This really warmed up the main family room.  I also tracked my
electrical usage for the next year.  I saw an 11% reduction in my electric bill
as compaired to just the windows and a total of 17.5% over 2 years before
without the windows or logs.

While some months were a lot less than expected that can be due to milder or
colder or warmer than usual - what ever that is.

Now all this sounds good, but, if I assume a 15% savings on my electric bill of
about $2,600 per year, I should have saved about  that should have saved about
$390.  But then you have to add in the cost of the gas for the
logs.  Unfortulately,
I didn't really track that, but my guess is I spent something about
$200 for the gas.  So my net savings was about $200/yr.  To pay off
the combined cost of
the windows and logs $9,000, it's going to take about 45 yrs. :(

But to be able to get warm in the winter is very nice, and the new
windows look
better than the old ones with the storm windows.

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                        65 Rambler Classic