Re: [Shop-talk] Options for carport floor?

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Options for carport floor?
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 11:22:47 -0500
Well, they seem convinced that putting a slab down in the spring is
the way to go. So now that the moisture issue will be mostly taken
care of, I need to come up with a way to insulate the ceiling. It's a
shed roof that butts up against the house, framed with doubled up 2x8
and the joist spacing varies by up to 2". There's a rubber roof on top
where they have a deck, so the roof doesn't breathe, and there's no
easy way to add any variant of ridge venting, though that's the way
I'd go if this place landed in my lap. The black rubber roof will make
an uninsulated garage nice and toasty in the northeast summer too....

The local lumberyard said even unfaced fiberglass would trap the
condensed moisture and rot out the roof.

I think rigid foam against the decking would also trap moisture
migrating through the joists and into the decking.

There isn't enough room to put in a false ceiling.

It'd probably be cheaper for us to tear down & rebuild the garage than
to have spray foam installed.

Am I missing any options?

thanks,
jim