Re: [Shop-talk] Options for carport floor?

To: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Options for carport floor?
From: Pat Horne <pat@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 11:17:54 -0600
Jim,

While it isn't insulation, there is a product out there that will keep
your from roasting in the summer. Check out radiant barrier. It is
basically a roll of paper with scrim in it that has aluminum foil on one
or both sides. It reflects the heat back. You just staple it across the
bottom of your roof framing. IT is usually perforated so that moisture
won't build up. If you go with the single sided foil, install it with
the foil down. If you install it foil side up the efficiency of the foil
will decrease as dust accumulates on top of it. By putting the foil
down, the paper gets the dust and it doesn't affect the reflection of
heat as much. I use double sided barrier my self. Last time I bought
some was about 5 years ago, and a 4'x100' roll was about $100. You might
be able to find someone in your area that uses it that will sell or give
you some of their roll ends to do your garage.

As far as insulation goes, you might consider adding foam insulation to
the bottom of the framing, but hold the insulation back at the top and
bottom edges of the roof to allow for air circulation. Sure, it won't be
as efficient as completely covering the ceiling, but it will be better
than nothing. Also, check with some professional insulation companies,
and your local building inspection office.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake Jim Franklin, On 12/15/2009 10:22 AM:

--
Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice            5026 FM 2001