Re: [Shop-talk] Wheel Balancer

To: tr6racer21@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Wheel Balancer
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 09:41:05 -0800
> Probable cause here is that your RV had lug-centered wheels.

The center hole being inaccurate might have been part of the problem, but
the previous tires had balanced OK when the same shop did them.  And the MH
hubs had a center spigot that the wheels fit snugly onto; on the rear hubs
the wheels fit over the bearing housing (full floating axle) tight enough to
be a bit difficult to get off when rusty.

I'm a little confused on the whole "lug centric" vs "hub centric" issue
anyway ... all of my cars have tapered seat lug nuts, meaning the nuts are
what pull the wheel into it's final position.  The fit between wheel & nut
is much tighter than between wheel and hub.  Dad even owned a Peugeot that
had no center hole!

The only truly "hub centric" wheels I have seen are Rudge splined British
wire wheels.

Randall