[Shop-talk] Odd-shaped door?

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Odd-shaped door?
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 05:58:08 -0800 (PST)
Hello,

My basement (pretty conventional 70's construction) has a set of steps going
out to the back yard, which are topped with a set of "Bilco" steel doors.  They
keep the rain out just fine, but they are pretty drafty and chilly in the
winter.  I was thinking of installing an insulated door at the bottom of the
steps.  The problem is that there is no built-in door frame, and the opening is
about 4 feet wide by 7 feet high, and I have never seen doors of this shape
being sold.

Has anybody ever seen a pre-built (or made-to-order) door that would be
suitable?  Or would have to build the door frame and the door itself from
scratch?  Looks, security, and weather resistance are not important, just
sealing and insulating ability.

I guess I could build up something from lumber and plywood, but I am worried
that it wold take a couple of iterations to get something that works reasonably
well, is mechanically sound, and doesn't scream "Home Depot weekend project"...

Thanks,

Doug