Re: [Shop-talk] An off shoot of the Toyota debacle.....

To: "'Nolan'" <opposumking@verizon.net>, "'shop-talk'"
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] An off shoot of the Toyota debacle.....
From: "Gerald Brazil" <gerrybraz@cablespeed.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 07:49:41 -0500
> Someone suggested that if you left the car in gear after you turned
> the engine off that the transmission would turn the engine over enough
> to keep the power steering and brakes working.

Only a manual transmission does this.  Automatic transmissions disconnect
because the engine is what drives the hydraulic pump.  Simple test, turn the

ignition key back on.  If the engine is still being spun over, it will
instantly begin to run.  If you have to engage the starter motor, the engine

was disconnected and not turning over.

FWIW....the Murano has a CVT transmission.....I don't know what effect this
might have, but it is a lot different (and in my opinion, better) than a
traditional transmission.....

And as for Mr. Nolan's suggestion that I test it at 70, I guess I'll leave
that to The Myth Busters. If I am faced with that issue, I know my
Start/Stop button works.