Re: [Shop-talk] An off shoot of the Toyota debacle.....

To: "'shop-talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] An off shoot of the Toyota debacle.....
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 07:16:19 -0800
> Only a manual transmission does this.  Automatic
> transmissions disconnect
> because the engine is what drives the hydraulic pump.  Simple
> test, turn the ignition key back on.  If the engine is still being spun
over,

BTDT.  At any significant speed, and as long as you leave it in gear, the
transmission will continue to turn the engine.  This is known as compression
braking.  Basically, as long as the engine is turning, the transmission
stays engaged, which keeps the engine turning.  This has been true for every
automatic I've owned, though I've never owned a CVT.

For most automatics, though, once you shift out of gear, the engine stops
and shifting back into gear won't start it.  There have been a few that had
a rear oil pump, but not many.

> And as for Mr. Nolan's suggestion that I test it at 70, I
> guess I'll leave
> that to The Myth Busters. If I am faced with that issue, I know my
> Start/Stop button works.

Ditto.  Just too much mechanical violence to try on my own car.   But as
I've explained before, I've come close enough that I can see where it would
be a significant problem for most people.  For example, one thing they
drummed into our heads during Driver's Ed was that, if the brakes don't
work, pump them.  Without boost, it seems like the brakes don't work, and
yet pumping them is the worst possible thing to do.

Nolan wrote:
>  Now make the mistake many people make, and try to "control" the
> vehicle instead of simply stopping it immediately.

Indeed, I believe this is part of the problem, what I call the "I got it"
syndrome.  At first it appears that you can control the speed of the car (as
so many on this list have insisted is the case), long enough to reach a
'safe' stopping point away from traffic.  But after slowing from 70 or 80
mph to say, 45, those brakes are going to be hot.  And fighting several
hundred horsepower is going to get them hotter, very quickly.  By the time
you discover that they are overheated, it's too late.

Even with just 100 bhp on tap, you can get noticeable brake fade in less
than a minute by driving at low speed, full throttle and controlling the
speed with the brakes.  This was actually recommended procedure for my 70
Audi, to condition new brake pads.

Randall